Monday 16 January 2012

A Nostalgic Day in My Sewing Room


Finally I have a day at home and a day to sew.   A perfect day cloudy with showers- looking out at my flooded garden after the 3 plus inches of rain we had Saturday night. No watering required today.

Where do I start? 
Finish the little things I thought......

Remember the Sally Giblin stitchery from a few months back? Well I actually did 2 stitcheries one in mauve and one in pink so today I made them into cushions. Yeah!  Two things finished. 

The special thing about finishing these today was thinking about my grandmother. I learned to sew on my Grandma's Singer treadle. Fixing zips in Grandpas pants ... can you believe that..  the worst job a sewer can do !   Just something we had to do then. Well my dear grandma is no longer with us and now I have her old singer complete with the zipper foot. 

While I was away I found this new beauty at the Quilters Shack in Bundaberg. I just had to have it... The old and the new....  I would have never contemplated a "Singer" sewing machine until this one just struck a cord in my heart and I had to have it..... I believe she is still with me in many ways.........
  
So the little cushions were made on the new/ old style singer and quite surprisingly it did OK.     

Memories are wonderful things......By the way her favourite colour was purple....

First completed items for 2012


Completed on the new singer


Once belonged to Myrtle Dorothy Lewington , My Grandama.

Electronic 

The old and the new



3 comments:

Cardygirl said...

Great story...lovely stitching...fun new machine.

Chookyblue...... said...

love the cushions.........Sally's designs are beautiful........precious memories in the sewing machine.........wow 3 inchs.......we had a bit but not that much.........

Shiralee Stitches said...

Such a nice story, Jenny. I have fond memories of helping my Mum sew on an old Singer machine, one with a wind-the-handle. We made all the curtains for our home, me winding and Mum feeding the fabric!! I also have that machine carefully stored in a cupboard, thinking I should display it but not wanting it to deteriorate in the air.....that's probably really silly, I should get it out and enjoy looking at it....probably still works, but not sure how!! I looove the look of your new/old little baby......lucky you....